Dear Part-Time Faculty:
As you know, the Ohio Part-time Faculty Association was recently created to serve the needs of and advocate for part-time faculty. We have achieved great success in our short history:
- OPTFA led and organized a May 1 Rally for Equity at the University of Akron to protest its cuts to part-time faculty teaching hours. Our demonstration included support from full-time faculty, part-time faculty at other colleges, and students, and it enjoyed significant media coverage in Akron and Cleveland, as well as in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- OPTFA has educated the public about part-time faculty working conditions and the state of higher education through interviews, letters, and press statements that have appeared in the Akron Beacon Journal, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Bloomberg News, on public radio WCPN and WKSU and 19 Action News.
- OPTFA collected information and submitted a comment to the Department of the Treasury and the IRS on the ramifications of the Affordable Care Act for part-time faculty.
- OPTFA sponsored a “filing party” on May 11 to help part-time faculty apply for unemployment benefits and made the material available as a webinar to all OPTFA members.
- OPTFA maintains a website filled with research, information, surveys, pertinent public records requested from Ohio institutions, and links of value to part-time faculty, as well as opportunities for these faculty to get involved with the organization.
We want to do more of what you want, but we need your help. Five dollars from every faculty member will help us continue our good work.
Please support our mission. Click the “Donate” button below and send us $5 — or any amount you can. If you prefer to send a check, please make it out to OPTFA and mail to:
P.O. Box 470019
Broadview Heights, OH 44147