What: Ohio Part-Time Faculty Association Demonstration
When: Wednesday, May 1, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Where: The plaza between the Student Union and Buchtel Hall on the University of Akron’s main campus. Get the map.
Where to Park: The Gated Visitor Parking Deck on East Buchtel Avenue. View the map.
Who: All faculty, staff, students and the public are invited to attend to show solidarity with UA’s part-time faculty whose lives are seriously impacted by a recent administrative decision that cuts their course loads to eight credit hours per semester. This decision was made so that UA could avoid providing health care benefits required under the Affordable Care Act.
Why: To educate the campus community and the public about the inadequate working conditions and the pay and benefit inequities faced by part-time faculty at UA. UA’s approximately 1,500 part-timers make up more than 70 percent of all faculty on campus, receive no benefits and earn about $2,400 per three-credit course. OPTFA wants to raise public awareness of the persistent and systematic mistreatment of part-time faculty by The University of Akron and other Ohio colleges and universities.
Sign up form: To help us gauge the participation we will have for the May 1 Rally for Equity at UA, we are asking that you complete a confidential participation form. Just include as much information as you are comfortable sharing. This information will not be distributed outside of the organizing committee of the Ohio Part-Time Faculty Association.
Spread the word: Download the May 1 Rally for Equity at UA flyer to share with your colleagues.
- Wear red to campus in support of adjunct equity on May 1.
- Wear a scarlet ‘A’ as well
- Post the scarlet ‘A’ on your office door and/or car window.
- Upload the scarlet ‘A’ as your Facebook profile photo.
- Take a photo of yourself and your colleagues in your red and/or wearing your scarlet ‘A’ and post on Twitter using these hashtags: #adjunct #mayday #OPTFA and on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Share this news, links and messages of support on Facebook and Twitter, using these hashtags: #adjunct #mayday #OPTFA and on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Join our Ohio Adjunct Listserv to share news and stay informed on issues and events.
For more information: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about other OPTFA events, including our April 24 and 28 meetings.
FYI: Facts about UA Part-time Faculty
- Number of first and second year courses (000-200) taught by part- time faculty in the 2010-2011 academic year: 3,770
- Number of first and second year courses (000-200) taught by full-time faculty in the 2010-2011 academic year: 2,324
- Total number of part-time faculty in the 2010-2011 AY: 1,503
- Total number of full-time faculty in the 2010-2011 AY: 806
- Average annual pay rate for a part-time faculty member of the highest rank (senior lecturer) teaching a 4/3 load (21 credit hours): $20,038
- Average annual pay rate for a full-time tenure-track faculty member of the lowest rank (assistant professor) teaching a 4/3 load or less: $62,745
- Percentage of faculty salary budget devoted to part-time faculty, who make up more than 60% of all faculty: 15%
- Most important issue for part-time faculty, according to a 2012 survey: better pay, securing full-time employment
- Issues that cause the greatest dissatisfaction among part-time faculty, according to the same survey: low pay, lack of health insurance, the two-tiered faculty system