Selected Media Stories
Adjunct Profs Get Nod from Readers — April 18, 2015
Fight for $15 Rally to Include Profs in Poverty — April 13, 2015
Plain Dealer Oversimplifies Adjunct Issues — Letter to the Editor, March 17, 2015
Adjunct Professors Deserve Stable, Fair, Long-term Contracts — Op-ed in Cleveland Plain Dealer, Feb 25, 2015
Higher Ed Analyst Blasts UA, July 2013
WKYC Takes on Tri-C Administrative Costs, June 25, 2013
OPTFA on WCPN, June 3, 2013
Plain Dealer Readers Respond to News About Adjunct Pay, May 26, 2013
Coverage of University of Akron Rally, May 1, 2013
Adjuncts and OPTFA in the News, April 2013 — includes Akron Beacon Journal editorial
Go to College to Learn What SB5 Will Do — Op-ed in Cleveland Plain Dealer Feb 2011
Unemployment Insurance resources
- NFM Steve Street National Unemployment Compensation Initiative
- Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Resources
- How to apply for unemployment in Ohio
Affordable Care Act resources
- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Shared Responsibility for Employers Regarding Health Coverage (REG-138006-12)
- IRS ruling regarding determining adjunct work hours to fulfill the Employer Mandate of the ACA
- ACA comments submitted online by New Faculty Majority
- Tell us how your college or university is responding to the Affordable Care Act
- Adjunct faculty hit hard by healthcare mandate, Sept 26, 2013, post on OPTFA website
Ohio Sunshine Law resources
- 2013 Sunshine Laws Manual
- Sunshine Laws FAQ
- Your Public Records Rights Quick Tip
- Model Public Records Policy
Reports, fact Sheets, infographics on Ohio Colleges and Universities
- Public Records Requests made by OPTFA. You can download the documents we received by visiting individual Campus pages.
- Facts about Part-time Faculty at the University of Akron
- Infographic: An Adjunct Case Study: The University of Akron by the Numbers
- Instruction by Faculty Type at University System of Ohio Institutions, Fall 2004 to Fall 2008: An Ohio Board of Regents Report Dated June 2010
- The Adjunct Project: Gathering pay and working conditions data about the nation’s adjuncts—those faculty, lecturers, and instructors who do not hold permanent or full-time positions. Help by submitting your data and see how it compares to your colleagues around the country.
- MLA Academic Workforce Data Center: View historic information about staffing patterns at individual institutions of higher education. Find the breakdown of tenure-tenure track versus adjunct professors at any institution.
- The Delphi Project of the University of Southern California on The Changing Faculty and Student Success. The purpose of this project is to examine and develop solutions to change the nature of the professoriate, the causes of the rise of non-tenure-track faculty, and the impact of this change on the teaching and learning environment.
- An Adjunct’s Reading/Viewing List: compiled by Maria Maisto, president of New Faculty Majority
- Part-time Faculty in Higher Education: A Selected
Annotated Bibliography by Robert Pankin and Carla Weiss
Reports – general
- “Who Is Professor ‘Staff,’ And How Can This Person Teach So Many Classes?” – An NFM Research Report
- The Role of the Faculty in Conditions of Financial Exigency: A 2013 AAUP Report
- The Inclusion in Governance of Faculty Members Holding Contingent Appointments: A January 2013 AAUP Report prepared by a joint subcommittee of the Association’s Committee on Contingency and the Profession and the Committee on College and University Governance.
- AAUP Report on Governance & Contingent Faculty: An Adjunct Faculty Governance Representative’s View
- AAUP Annual Report on the Economic Status of the Profession: 2012-2013
- Addressing the Scarlet A: Adjuncts and the Academy – Presentation by Maria Maisto, President, New Faculty Majority and Executive Director, New Faculty Majority Foundation, on the presidential panel at the 2013 convention of the Modern Language Association in Boston, Mass., Jan. 3, 2013.
- Access to Unemployment Insurance Benefits for Contingent Faculty, by Berry, Stewart and Worthen, published by Chicago COCAL, 2008. Order from www.chicagococal.org
- Reclaiming the Ivory Tower: Organizing Adjuncts to Change Higher Education, by Joe Berry, from Monthly Review Press, 2005. Visit this page for full information, individual sales, bulk ordering discounts, or to invite Berry to speak at an event.
- American University Students Support the Democratic Rights of Adjunct Professors
- Educaution: An independent University of Southern California graduate thesis documentary on student debt. Watch the trailer.
- See more video links posted on the New Faculty Majority YouTube channel.